So here is a question I get asked very frequently by my friends or followers that what are the essential ingredients or must-haves to make Indian Food. Many people tend to get confused with the spices or some just opt for the easier way out and buy ready-made sauces from super markets. To be honest I absolutely despise ready-made sauces that is available in the super markets because that just ruins everything about the dish, the food does not smell or taste fresh! Playing around with spices is so much fun in the kitchen and it definitely is my favorite hobby! 😀
I have jotted down a list of 5 items you should have in your kitchen if you want to make authentic, mouth-watering Indian/ Asian Food:
- Garam Masala Powder: This is basically the blend of 5 spices (Black and white peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, black and white cumin seeds, black and green cardamom pods). You can create an absolutely fantastic curry by using just this powder, which is readily available in any super market these days including Tesco.
- Lime Leaves: These dried leaves not just give the most beautiful aroma to your food but also adds to the rich flavour. Just by adding a few dried lime leaves to any dish you can make it smell and taste exotic and this specially works best with Lentil soups, Thai Curries and even Chicken Curries. This is also easily available these days in leading super markets.
- Turmeric: I am sure most people are aware that turmeric is the most commonly used spice in Indian/ Asian Food. Turmeric not just gives a beautiful color to the dish but also has a massive impact on the flavour. You can use turmeric in any form (powder or raw) tastes just as nice. And yes it is the most easily available spice so don’t be surprised if you find it at the local shop near you.
- Ginger and Garlic: These two little angels are the two major ingredients responsible for the rich flavor of Indian curries. Every one who loves to cook must already have these in their kitchen if not go buy it!!! I would urge not to use powdered ginger and garlic because those don’t do anything to the flavor, so don’t be lazy just buy some fresh ginger and garlic and blend it, chop it, or grate it to get that fantastic taste! 🙂
- Vegetable Oil/ Mustard Oil: Olive oil might be healthy and great for a lot of dishes but it does absolutely nothing to Indian curries or food. To get that authentic taste you definitely need to use either vegetable oil or even better if you use mustard oil. Especially when you are making fish or a lamb curry mustard oil is absolutely essential to get the authentic taste.Hopefully you will stack up your kitchen with all these ingredients, and make one of my recipe’s for your friends or just to treat yourself! This is a picture of my kitchen when the spice rack was not over-flowing! 😀